10 Interesting Libya Facts

Thursday, June 12th 2014. | Countries

Find out the information about one of the interesting countries in Africa by reading Libya facts. Libya is famous with its hot temperature. People also remember it with the overthrown of Gadaffi. It gains a lot of attention from the foreign media. Let me who to the detail facts about Libya below:

Libya Facts 1: flag

The national flag of Libya only came in one color. Before Gaddafi was overthrown in 2011, the national flag of Libya was in solid green.

Libya Facts 2: Idris

The regime of Idris King was overthrown by Gaddafi in 1969. Idris king was the head of the Senussi Muslim orde and the king of the country from 1951 to 1969. He was the only king ruled the country.

Libya and Desert

Libya and Desert

Libya Facts 3: women

The women in Libya suffer a lot because they have to do the domestic roles without any right. What the women should do is serving the husband, giving birth to children, cooking and cleaning the house.

Libya Facts 4: free education

It is a surprising fact to know that Libya can give each citizen in the country free education.

Libya and War

Libya and War

Libya Facts 5: Alcohol consumption

If you live in America and Europe, you can drink alcohol anytime you want as long as you are adults. In Libya, the law states that alcohol consumption is prohibited.

Libya Facts 6: zero percent interest rate

The loans that people get from other people or other institutions should go in zero percent interest rate.

Libya facts

Libya facts

Libya Facts 7: people in Libya

Until the recent bombings in Libya, you will never find the people live without a home. There are no beggars living on the street.

Libya Facts 8: area and population

Libya is home to 6,244,174 people based on the data reported in July 2014. The area of Libya is slightly larger than Alaska. It spans on the area of 1,759,540 sq km. Check Alaska facts here.

Libya Country

Libya Country

Libya Facts 9: capital city

The capital city of Libya is Tripoli. Libya is well known as one of the top ten oil rich countries in the world. It can produce 48 billion barrels of oil.

Libya Facts 10: Colonel Moammar Gadhafi

Colonel Moammar Gadhafi is one of the important men in Library. He was the ruler of Libya from 1969 to 2011. The Palestinian terrorist groups were supported by the colonel in 1970s and 1980s based on the media’s speculation.



There are many ethnic groups that you a find living in Libya. 97 percent of the people are Berber and Arab. The rest 3 percent of the population are Maltanese, Greeks, Italian, and Pakistanis. Do you have question on facts about Libya?

tags: ,